(OLF News, December 27,2008) OLF News sources reported that the current TPLF-Ethiopian government is sending a large number of intelligence personnel [spies] to several towns and rural areas in the Eastern Harargee zone of Eastern Oromia for the purpose of getting information about the Oromo Liberation Army (OLA) which, in recent weeks, has stepped up its military activity against the enemy-Wayyaanee troops in the zone.
The Wayyaanee [Ethiopian] government spies are said to be deployed in the towns of Harar, Dirree Dawaa, Haramaayaa, Galamsoo, Baddeessaa, Awwadaay and several other towns and rural areas, and spying on Oromos about the movement of OLA and to harass Oromos on allegations of supporting OLA and OLF. In these areas the intelligence personnel are reported to be luring the local people by promising them to give them urban and rural land and cash if they expose an OLF and/or OLA member or supporter. It is said that they are openly promising a cash of 15, 000 Ethiopian Birr for anyone who provides information leading toOLF/OLA member or supporter.
It goes without saying that many people who are in dire poverty could potentially give the names of any one who has no relation with OLA in order to get the promised money.
At a time when millions of Ethiopian peoples are starving to death, millions of others are dying of rampant diseases such as malaria, HIV AIDS, iodine deficiency (goiters), many political analysts find it disturbing that the government is allocating the meager resource and finance of the empire in training and deploying a large number of spies against the peaceful people and promising such a large sum of money for getting a suspected “OLF/OLA member”.
It is to be recalled that OLF News has reported on November 28, 2008 that the Wayyaanee government is currently spending tens of millions of dollars of Ethiopian peoples’ money on jamming opposition and other independent radios such as VOL (Voice of Oromo Liberation), VOA (Afan Oromo and Amharic), Deutsche Welle (Amharic), Eritrean Radio programs (in Afan Oromo, Amharic, Tigre, and other languages)
Hated by the entire Ethiopian people, the TPLF regime is clinging to power by several means among which are:
- Using the government media (radio, TV, newspapers, and others) 100% for propaganda purposes
- Jamming all independent and opposition radio programs
- Blocking all opposition internet services
- Suppressing any opposition and critics by harassing, jailing, torturing, and killing
- Using food aid, the scarce job, higher education, fertile land and fertilizer for its narrow and cheap political purposes
- Deliberately creating conflict among various ethnic groups by giving land that belongs to one to the other, and, as mentioned in this news,
- Spending millions of money in training and deploying intelligence personnel who spy the local people, and promising a cash award who gives the name of any individual who opposes the Meles Zenawi regime and its policies.